What constitutes Ragging…?
- Any act of Indiscipline, Teasing or Handling with Rudeness.
- Any act that Prevents, Disrupts the Regular Academic Activity.
- Any activity which is likely to cause Annoyance, Hardship, Psychological Harm or creates Fear or Apprehension.
- Any Act of Financial Extortion or Forceful Expenditure.
- Any Act of Physical Abuse causing Assault, Harm or danger to Health.
- Any Act of abuse by spoken words, emails, SMS or public insult etc.
- Any Act of injury or infringement of the fundamental right to the human dignity.
- Any Act of Wrongful Confinement, Kidnapping, molesting or committing unnatural offences, use of criminal forces, trespass or intimidation.
- Any unlawful assembly or conspiracy to ragging
Punishments imposed for those found guilty of ragging
- Suspension from attending classes and academic privileges.
- Withholding/withdrawing scholarship/fellowship and other benefits.
- Debarring from appearing in any test/examinations or other evaluation process.
- Withholding results
- Debarring from representing the institution in any regional, national or international meet. Tournament, youth festival etc.
- Suspension/expulsion from the hostel
- Cancellation of admission
- Expulsion from the institution and consequent debarring from admission to any other institution for a specified period.
- Fine ranging between Rs. 25000/- and Rs. 1 lakh
- Collective punishment: when the persons committing or abetting the crime of ragging are not identified, the institution shall resort to collective punishment.
Terms : One to two years
Meetings : The committee shall meet at least once in a semester
- The staff members have to be more vigilant in watching senior students movement where the 1st year students are exposed to other students.
- Restricting the movement of the students during class hours in the campus, for the first one month of the starting of the academic session by reinforcing the number of security personnel.
- Making arrangements for giving wide publicity amongst students regarding the consequences/rules and regulations stipulated by the university as regards the involvement in ragging activity.
Regulations on curbing the menace of ragging
- The application form for admission/enrolment shall have a printed undertaking to be filled up and signed by the candidate that he/she is aware of the law regarding prohibition of ragging as well as the punishments and to the effect that he/she has not been expelled and/or debarred from admission by the institution and that he/she, if found guilty of the offence of ragging and/or abetting ragging, is liable to be punished appropriately.
- The application form shall also contain a printed undertaking.
- A student seeking admission to the hostel shall have to submit additional undertaking for hostel accommodation.
- The institution shall identify, properly illuminate all vulnerable locations.
- Every fresh student admitted to the institution shall be given a printed leaflet detailing when and to whom he/she has to turn to for help and guidance for various purposes with addresses and telephone numbers
- To send a letter to the parents/guardians of the students who are completing the first year informing them about the law regarding ragging and the punishments and appealing to them to impress upon their wards to desist from indulging in ragging when they come back at the beginning of the next academic session.
- To keep spy in every class
“Respect Your seniors! Help Your Juniors!!!”
Rajeev Institute of Technology, Hassan maintains a healthy and congenial academic environment for the students. The institution offers protection to the new entrants from the menace of ragging. In this regard our Institute has constituted an Anti-Ragging Cell. The cell is headed by Head of the institution, along with several other committee members comprising of senior faculties. Anti-Ragging Squad members and Anti Ragging Bus In charges have been deputed from all departments to monitor students discipline both inside the campus and on board.
Anti-ragging Committee Role & Responsibilities
- To secure almost all areas in the college (i.e. Canteen, Parking places, Different blocks, Play grounds etc.) and ensure that at least one faculty member is present at a particular time at all locations to avoid ragging.
- To take precautions to avoid ragging activities at other locations like Bus Stops (Inside the Campus) and give instructions to appoint student volunteers & secret informers at various boarding points.
- To conduct anti-ragging campaigns in the form of Flexes, Posters and Boards in college premises and surrounding areas where there is a chance of ragging.
- To associate with Grievances & Redressal committee and help in anti-ragging activities.
- Issues in consultation with the Principal seeking his approval.